Friday 26 December 2008

I'll think about that tomorrow

The other day, in the middle of making-holiday-presents-fever I suddenly found out that some of the «future owners» of the presents I'm making will be away for the next 10 days. I thought, OK, no need to hurry, I can slow the pace down now; plenty of time to finish the presents.

So, with at least two projects still unfinished, I started making a long time promised “present” for myself- an entrelac scarf. Entrelac is great, you can stop working on it and start again any time with now fear you’ll forget where you stopped or what you intended to do with it. If I don’t finish it within the next few days, I’ll simply switch to working on my presents and finish it later. (Very clever, if you ask me! :D ).

The next day- my entrelac mysteriously ended up in one of my «magical baskets»! With a good reason too- I decided I should rather finish some other projects first. I managed to knit two or three rows of each one of them and then I realised- I wanted a new pair of gloves!!! You must admit- a pair of gloves in the middle of December is way more important than a Vogue bolero I probably won't be wearing before spring (again- one VERY clever decision!).

That same afternoon, after knitting about, let's be honest- not more than 7 stitches, when I was only half a step away from putting my “soon to be finished” doomed bolero in one of my baskets AGAIN, it struck me- each time I open one of these baskets to get a new skein of yarn, there are always at least 3 or 4 unfinished projects in there. And in just three days I must have increased that number to at least 7. So, the million dollar question was- how many unfinished projects are there in my knitty-land? I went over there, opened my mystery baskets and started counting (it wasn’t an easy thing to do!!!). The answer was- TOO MANY! Way too many!


When on Earth did I become do unorganized??? It's one thing to stop working on a project when you see nothing useful any good will ever come out of it and decide to think about what else you might use that yarn for tomorrow. But this!?!?!?


OK, so, I'm proudly presenting you all of my unfinished projects:


Nr. 1

My unfinished entrelac scarf! Now that I see it in this picture- I don't think it is ever going to be finished either! I simply don't like this combination of coulors. I wanted something natural and so I chose to work with beige tones but- it seemed too pale. I added a bit of pink- then it looked just a bit too odd for my taste. Anyway, this is my disaster nr.1!


Nr.2


Here it is, my doomed Vogue capecho by Norah Gaughan! Why isn't it finished yet? I haven't got a clue! I'm only one sleeve away from finishing it and, because of some unknown reason, I still haven't found the time to finish it. Maybe (just MAYBE) I'll have to add another edging to the bottom part of the capelet just to gather the outer borders of pentagons together into the same line but, even so- it would only be an extra hour or two of work. (Oh, yes, and I need to attach the button- another minute). None the less- it is still unfinished!

Nr.3



My Mermaid gloves! I already made one pair for my friend Sunny the other day and I thought I should make a pair for myself too. It's a very attractive pattern and interesting to knit. I'm not really worried about this project- I think I'll have my gloves finished by this Saturday but, than again- untill I bind the stitches off the needles these gloves are potentially endangered just like everything else!


(Now, when did I become a fan of gray gloves - that is a whole different story!)



Let's continue....

Nr.4


Do you know what this is??? It was supposed to be one of my
holiday presents- a mug jacket! (Yes, coffee mugs should be dressed for holidays too! :) . It's a cute design, easy to do, a great way to use your leftovers yarn and experiment with new patterns and, finally, people really like it. It's one weird present for your weird friends. Now, what fascinates me is- how can someone get stuck before the end of the second row when making a mug-jacket that only has 10 or so rows?????


Nr.5


My Lacy beige cardigan.



Oh, I was really thrilled about this project. I wanted it to be a part of a set: a cardigan, a pair of gloves, (maybe a scarf) and a bag; all made from the same yarn! So far, I only managed to make a bag!



Nr.6


My biggest disaster!!! I started working on this project at least 3 years ago. I'm not really keen on working with colours (too messy) but I liked this "Indian Summer" combination of colours so much- I just had to make something other than a plain striped sweater! I left it on side (for the first time, that is)when I was still working on the front part because I got all tangled up. Taking a short break seemed like the best solution at the time. I decided I should continue with some fresh ideas a year later, but after finishing both parts- I didn't really like the result and so I lost the interest for the second time. Finally, I did manage to finish it (3 years later) but it just doesn't look good! Now, I don't know what to do with it any more. I didn't even want to take it out of the plastic bag when I was taking a picture of it- I'm not sure if it bites after all this time.

(See the striped part in the bottom of the picture?It's a sleeve- I can't use this yarn for anything else anymore).

Nr.7


Oh, this hurts (just look at these braids)! I can't tell you how enthusiastic I was about this project! I was REALLY looking forward to having a sweater like this one- I thought it was going to be my favorite one. Guess what- I run out of yarn. For the last 2 years I've been desperatelly trying to find more. With no success! It's that same beautiful, soft yarn I used for my Green sweater , so, this time, not only did I find just the colour I wanted but I also knew that the yarn was great and how it knits. Unfortunatelly - I won't be able to get more yarn any time soon. If ever!

I had a few "B" and "C" plans for this one because I wanted to finish it so badly so, in the end, i decided to give it a try with another ivory yarn - the one I used for my poncho a few years ago, only now I had to double the strand- I thought it would do the trick. I did the trick! And... well, it ain't funny at all. You can see the result- it looks awful. I even made the second sleeve but, oh boy, do I look ridiculous when I dress it on. No- I don't look ridiculous; I look like a frog!!! And, having said that...

No, I won't frog the whole project- but the sleeves and the neck; they're gone! Time for my "C" plan!

Nr. 8


Do you know what this is? I don't! Not only did I forget whether the stockinette stichs was on the wrong or the right side of work (everything seems possible now), but I can't remember what this was supposed to be at all!!! A vest? A turtleneck jumper? A sweater maybe? Long sleeves? Short sleeves on a light spring blouse? A tent? A swimming suit?

I know one thing for sure, though- it is red!!! (And a beautiful red yarn screaming for a better idea! Or any idea for that matter!)

One sad way to become a Woman in red!!! I'm pathetic!

Nr.9


A neck wormer! Again- it should be finished soon. The only thing left to do here is to hide the yarn "tails" and add an I-cord decoration which has already been prepared. But, again- if it is only a 1m long Icord that needs to be attached- why haven't I already done that???


Nr.10


And there's one more THING! I didn't even want to take a picture of it! Why bother- the only thing I could do with that picture is to make a poll with this question: "Do you think a person who started making this 5 years ago and has been keeping it among her unfinished projects ever since is sane?"

OOOOOKKKK, time to do something about all this mess!!!!!! It's now or never! I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...